YOUNG LEADER QUALIFICATION
Volunteering for Girlguiding isn’t just for adults!
If you’re between 14-17 and want to level up your leadership skills, get a qualification and have an amazing time, then being a young leader is the perfect role for you. Don’t worry if you haven’t done any volunteering before – you can jump right in and we’ll support you all the way!
I liked doing my young leader qualification as it built up my confidence and I enjoy working with young children. It has helped me to get a job as I am more confident and able to speak to more people.
You’ll be part of a team of volunteers who plan and run weekly meetings where girls explore new ideas, gain new skills, build friendships and have lots of fun. You could be showing 5–year–olds how to start a campfire, creating a mini festival for 8-year–olds or helping 12–year-olds start an upcycling revolution.
Being a young leader is a wonderfully varied role but you will:
- Go to weekly unit meetings and help girls to do activities from the Girlguiding programme
- Get weird and wonderful ideas from the girls that you can bring to life as activities or events
- Plan and run fun activities and games, adapting them to the needs of the whole group
- Make sure everyone feels welcome and support less confident girls to get involved
- Share your own skills, experiences, and ideas to inspire others
- Attend and help organise exciting events, from day-long trips to sleepovers or whole weekends of fun
- Be a role model for younger girls – someone they can look up to, and who can bridge the gap between the adults running the unit and the young members taking part.
You can do almost everything that the adult leaders in the group do!